We offer surgical services including routine extractions, implant placement, and removal of wisdom teeth. In regards to wisdom teeth, it is very common to not have enough space in one's mouth for all 32 teeth. Unless wisdom teeth are fully erupted and easy to clean, extraction is typically the best treatment to prevent future problems.
Below are the top 10 reasons to remove your wisdom teeth:
10. Because there is limited space for wisdom teeth to erupt and because the surrounding gums are difficult to keep clean. Infection and inflammation are common even when there are no apparent symptoms. Research shows that once inflammation takes hold, it is very difficult to eliminate and may spread to other teeth.
9. Research suggests that oral inflammation associated with wisdom teeth may contribute to pre-term or low birth weight infants.
8. Even when wisdom teeth erupt through the gum tissues, they rarely provide any meaningful function and are always difficult to keep clean.
7. In some cases, impacted wisdom teeth develop associated cysts and/or tumors. Removal of such lesions may require extensive procedures to repair and restore jaw function and appearance .
6. With age, the chance for complications related to the removal of wisdom teeth increases.
5. Gum disease and inflammation associated with wisdom teeth may led to receding gum tissues, deterioration of the jawbone, and tooth loss.
4. Wisdom teeth may contribute to crowding of nearby teeth.
3. Even wisdom teeth that seem to be problem-free (asymptomatic) remain a breeding ground for oral infection and inflammation. Research supports the concept that such inflammation may enter the bloodstream and contribute to the development of a variety of diseases, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and stroke.
2. Once it has been determined that a wisdom tooth will not successfully erupt into your mouth and be maintained in a healthy state, early removal of wisdom teeth is associated with faster and easier recovery.
1. The Number One Reason for Removing Wisdom Teeth: Peace of Mind.